Far from the hustle and bustle of the city, nestled amidst sal, segun and piyal trees lies Salboni Retreat; a haven for travellers looking for relaxation. Only 170 km away from Kolkata, Salboni Retreat is the perfect weekend getaway spread over a peaceful twelve acres.
History behind the Heritage: Maharaja Narasingha Mollyadev, Zamindar of Jhargram handed over his estate “Salboni Retreat” to a British Collector Mr. Arthur Malcolm Cutts in 1936. Mr. Cutts expired in 1941 and property was taken over by his Legal head, Mr. Donald Edward Borthwick & was appointed as the sole executor of the estate. In 1950, Mr. Borthwick sold the property to another British person, Mr. Lusbey & finally in 1952, the property was transferred to Lawyer Mr. Amarendra Nath Sen. The beautiful and Heritage building 'Durga Bari' was constructed in the name of Mrs. Durga Sen, the wife of Mr. Amarendra Nath Sen. From that period 'Salboni Retreat' is running as a heritage property.
Tents: In this retreat, the Jungle meets the Heritage. Along with the Heritage Durgabari, the first Bengal- African Safari tent has been broached in true sense.
Best time to visit
Salboni Retreat is ideal for a peaceful seclusion and the best part is, you can go there any time.
During winter, enjoy the beautiful crisp, cool weather during the day and spend the chilly evenings around campfire.
The forest comes to life during monsoon making the visit both romantic and adventurous.
Summers are hot but you can enjoy the mango season in full bloom. If you are lucky, you may also catch a glimpse of the stray wild elephants that sometimes visit the area!
Facilities and Rules
- We have ample space for car parking within the retreat. However, we suggest you to notify us at the time of booking if you require car parking facilities.
- We request guests to cooperate on meal timings. This is because the setup is run leanly and the staff is from local villages. Since the Retreat is in a forest area and the staff needs to return to their homes, we close the kitchen at 10.30pm sharp. The gates of the premises are closed at 11pm.
- We also request not to play loud music or engage in activities that might disturb other guests or the peaceful surroundings, thus helping us maintain the sanctity of a forest retreat.
- We encourage guests to carry flashlights while walking within the premises during dark. Stray elephants are known to come into the property during the peak summer months of May and June for food and water. While elephants are at extremely rare during the other months, we encourage that guests are alert and aware of their surroundings when they are outside, especially when it is dark.
- We do not serve alcohol. In case you bring your own alcoholic drinks, you are requested to consume those inside your rooms. We expect no disruption related to alcohol consumption.
- Please help us keep the retreat clean by not littering in the property.
- Please be mindful of other guests in the property if you choose to smoke.
- Please do not use the forest area within the premises as natures's toilet.
- We have geysers in the renovated rooms. For standard rooms, we supply hot water in buckets.
- The rooms are large and airy and pleasant throughout the year.
- If you prefer to travel by train, take the early morning Ispat Express from Howrah Station and arrive at Salboni Retreat in time for breakfast. Stay for two days and check out early morning on the 3rd day before breakfast. But if you choose not to have breakfast on the first day we can provide breakfast on the 3rd day.
- If you prefer to take the late afternoon train back, we will charge for an additional half-day for spending the day at Salboni Retreat which includes lunch. The half-day option is discretionary based on availability of rooms during that day.
- Guests who prefer to travel by car usually leave Kolkata early morning and reach Salboni Retreat in time for lunch. If they stay for two days, they check out on the 3rd day after breakfast.
Booking and Cancellation Policy
- 12 days prior to check in date : No refund.
- 13-15 days prior to check in date : 25 % refund.
- 16-25 days prior to check in date : 50% refund.
- Prior to 25 days of check in date : 100% refund.